Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ready to Go

I am at last ready to sew up the diamonds in red and white.  With as much fabric as I have (ahem), you’d think I’d have a big ole pile of red and white prints.  I certainly thought I did.  But, no.  Thank heaven for shop hops and friends with stashes! Between the two I managed to finally put together the red and whites I needed.

I usually design the basic pattern in EQ6.  Like this:

red white diamond

This way I get a basic idea of what I think of a design.  I’ll admit I’m a little worried this one is going to be too high contrast and too visually noisy for what I’m thinking of, but not so worried I’m not going to plunge ahead.  Sometimes I just don’t really know until I sew it up.  Looks like this is going to be one of those times.

Particularly when I am uncertain about design, I’ll go ahead and lay out the patches to see what I think.  Like this:

red white diamond patches

Yeah, still a little worried, but also kind of liking it.  I mean, red and white.  A quilt for purists, right?  Once more unto the breach. 

And here I am all set up and ready to sew.  I really believe in that “in Minutes” part of the book title.  I make sure I have everything right at hand at the sewing machine when I’m ready to start sewing the foundation.  With everything close, I never have to get up from the sewing machine (unless I am overcome by a sudden lust for Dr. Pepper and chocolate – which has been known to happen).

ready to sew

Tomorrow or the day after I should have this little guy all done up.  As they say, the proof is in the pudding, so – we’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment