Sunday, May 3, 2009

Playtime

There’s nothing like choosing to play when you have other things you should be doing.  Have to admit, it’s always a little extra fun being in the sewing room when it feels like playing hooky!

A good sew day today: played around with making miniature sampler blocks using the Fold and Sew technique.  These  will finish at 2 inches square. 

miniature quilt sampler blocks 1

The fussy cut nine patch makes me happy – love the vase effect.  Wasn’t happy with the blue cross which I made first so tried it in brown as well.  Like them both now, so I’ll decide later which I’ll use.   Overall:  I’m thinking perhaps just a simple sashed 3 by 4 grid, or perhaps a collection of sampler blocks in a border  surrounding a center medallion.  I have a pile of Civil War reproduction charm packs – a miniature sampler is a great excuse to start using them.

Meanwhile, still thinking Quilt Market (and how to be a little more respectable).  This morning, I made up a business card holder.  The pattern/tutorial comes from Green Bee’s blog.  Very simple, but sweet.

business card holder 

I love how I got to use a bit of lace and buttons from the button box.  I wanted mine with a little less poof, so instead of using flannel as a batting (as suggested in the directions), I just used fusible interfacing on the linen exterior to give it a bit more body.  Linen is one of my latest loves.  It makes anything look good!

Next up: a new wallet.  I’ve got plans.

1 comment:

  1. The blocks are amazing. I like playing hooky in the sewing room too. I may just do that today!

    ReplyDelete